Wednesday, June 8, 2011

George Nelson...Be still my heart!

I'm going to do a very narrow post today, one that focuses on my current favourite piece in the store: our George Nelson knock off slat table!!!!!!

I once read that you can't truly convey excitement unless you use six exclamation points. I hope you all noticed I used the full six. I was really pleased to see this table come in. Even if its not a true George Nelson, it carries all of the same classic lines and nuances that the originals do.
George Nelson was an American born designer who was one of the front runners of the modernist furniture movement. When Nelson began work with Herman Miller Furniture Company, he truly began to explore the new realm of modern furniture design, one that embodied utility. See below: his design for the 1946 Slat Bench (Platform Bench).
There is something to be said for knock-off furniture design. Sure, true collectors may brush it off as a lesser version of something great, but I see it as a homage to excellent design. Plus, if you have only $150 in your bank account like me, knock-off designer furniture makes so much sense. This piece is a real gem, and would make a great addition to anyone's home. As always, great pieces seem to just fly out the door here! If you find yourself staying awake at night dreaming about this lovely slat bench, don't hesitate!

I shall see you furniture-philes  next week for another post on pieces of mid-century glory that I can't seem to get out of my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment