Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Lets talk about that Melmac...

Hello, everyone! Its a bit early to be obsessing over kitchenware, but thats EXACTLY what I'm doing at 7:00 on a Wednesday. I promise you that I actually do other things than drool over vintage items. Moving on.

I'd like to talk about my current obsession. Melmac. I've always been a fan of this wonderful plastic dinnerware, but we have some GREAT pieces in the store that are just making my head spin. But before I get to talking about the pieces, a brief history lesson! (I'll wake you up when I'm finished).

Melmac is actually a brand of dishware that is made from melamine resin. Melamine resin was first developed in the 1940's, and really caught on. Its a very durable material, and is easily dyed to produce bright colors. During the 50's and 60's it took off, and was used not only in the kitchen, but also in furniture making. I could probably go on for hours about that, so I'll just stop there.

On to the good part. The two dish sets that we currently have in the store are not Melmac, but that doesn't mean they aren't some of the best melamine dishes I have ever seen. EVER. The first set  is Boontonware. Originally made in New Jersey, now made in Ohio. Its a fairly large set, and is varied in color. What I love about this set is that all of the pieces have this great 'fleck' pattern all over them. Its a very subtle move, but it adds a lot to the look of the dishes. These really are the epitome of the 50's. I just absolutely love this set.


The next set is again, not Melmac, but another great melamine design put forth by Brookpark.  I know I say this a lot, but, be still my heart! The shape of the Brookpark tea/coffee cup is enough to make me weep. Brookpark has more of a rounded square shape to its design. Brookpark offers you the 'less is more' approach to dinnerware design, whereas Boontonware gives you the kitsch wonderfulness that so often the 50's produced. The Brookpark set is priced at $50, and the Boontonware set is priced at $75.

Either way, they both have not only a great look, but also a great feel. If you have never held a piece of melamine dishware, come in here and do so right now. I can't explain it, but it has this hardness that somehow feels soft. You know that you can't mold the dishes, but somehow, when you hold them, you can feel their plasticity. I'm not trying to wax poetic on a plate, but that's whats happening. They are THAT great. If any of you find yourself interested in either of these sets, let us know! I will be happy to reluctantly sell you something I really want for myself! I hope you enjoyed reading about some of my favorite things. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment