Thursday, January 5, 2012

What I love about vintage...

I have a penchant for daydreaming. Ever since I was little, I found ways to make things more exciting. I used to loathe cleaning my room, so as a result, I would pretend I was Sherlock Holmes looking for clues to a very important case. This often led to other side missions that left my room perhaps not as tidy as it should have been, but still! On a weekly basis, I'll fight under General George Washington's army, visit the Chicago World's Fair of 1893, and even spend time in Los Angeles in the 1930's.

I think that's what I love so much about vintage. Working here at Street Scene allows me the privilege to see amazing items all day everyday. I can touch them and research them and find out (occasionally) when and where they were made. When I can't find the exact details, my mind races to come up with a story about who used it, and where the particular item used to live. As much as I love buying things from IKEA, there isn't much to be said for their back story. No romance, just amazing Scandinavian design sensibilities.

I find things from the past so enticing. There's a palpable romance that I attach to any item that is over 50 years old, and I am immediately transported to another place and time. I don't find myself daydreaming about the future much. When I do, I'm actually in that 1940's-1960's sci-fi scene, so technically, its still the past. Good job, Kate. Even your future is old.



Another reason I love vintage, and its sort of a silly one, is that I love having one-of-a-kind pieces. I take a sense of pride when I can say, 'This is the only one I've seen like it'! I find that I treat my vintage items with more care than I do items that I know are replaceable if they break. When you damage or break a vintage item, there is always that chance that you will never find another one like it. I almost threw up typing that sentence. Treat all your items, but especially vintage, with care!

Why else do I love vintage? Because of things like this:
A few months ago a wonderful ostrich cape came into the store, and my life has never been the same. It is perfect. Where else could you find such a beauty?!

I love so many things about vintage. What is your favorite thing about shopping vintage? I'd like to know more about what you are into! Send me a message or leave a comment! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment