Friday, March 9, 2012

Its that time of year!

Its finally turned into that time of year again! As a person who has to wear at least four layers when it drops below 70 (I sadly am not exaggerating), I'm beginning to want to wear wonderfully spring-y things again. I fall into a style rut in the winter, only wearing tennis shoes and sweatshirts. Its not that I don't want to dress up a bit more, its just that if I'm not wearing socks, my sweatshirt, and my jacket, I'm frozen to the bone. The weather today, though its still a bit chilly for my taste, has made me anxious to wear some of my favorite dresses! Eeeeeee!

As many of you may know, here at Street Scene, we just put out our Spring/Summer clothes. This means that the amount of cute dresses we have in the store just went through the roof. AND INTO SPACE. We've got so many great belted 50's numbers and 60's shifts that we are busting at the seams! Part of me thinks it would be doing a favor if I just took 5 or 50 or so of the dresses and just kept them in my closet, you know, for safe keeping. But seriously, changing the closet out made me fall in love all over again with summer dresses. Let's take a look at some dresses throughout the decades and talk about why they are all so perfect.



I'll start with the 1940's, only because this is usually the cutoff point for us. What I love so much about 1940's dresses is the cut. The waist is cinched in, usually without the help of a belt, and the length is longer which really elongates the body. The shoulders in these dresses are amped up, be it with some sort of padding, or just a flourish of material to add the appearance of broadness. Crepe and rayon are widely used during this decade, and they are most certainly flattering! Another great thing about a 1940's dress is the accessorizing that goes along with it. I'm going to serve up some real talk when I tell you that 1940's shoes are by and far the best and most awesome shoes from any decade. The amount of beautiful wedges and chunky heels that I have placed in my cart on Etsy is staggering. Do yourself a favor and look up some examples of 1940's heels. You are welcome. Next comes the hair style. You really have so many options when it comes to doing your hair appropriate to the decade. I love how there was height added to the front part of the head. It really is a flattering style, and even if its not the best look, its super fun to do, just for one day!


Look at this lovely lady! Shes a vision in her frock and bolero! It also appears that she is lacking any sort of rib cage! But lets get to the point: 1950's dresses are awesome and really feminine. If you have an hourglass shape, these will look better than wonderful on you. If you don't have an hourglass shape, pull that belt as tight as you can and BAM, instant hourglass! Dresses from this decade are mostly made of cotton, and oftentimes come with a jacket for over top! Again, this is perfect if you are self conscious of your upper arms. I really can't  express how wonderful these dresses are for any body type! Now, you have TONS of options for hair, so you should have fun messing around! Heels are less tall than that of the 40's (which I find less exciting), but earrings and necklaces have doubled in size. Costume jewelry becomes key in the 50's, so  incorporate it into your outfit!



Ah. The 1960's. Can we all just take a second to look at how fabulous all of these minis are? Minis are SO EASY to wear and while some are form fitting, others have more of a 'shift' shape which hides the middle parts of your body. This means you can eat all day everyday, throw this little number on, and no one would be the wiser! This is the sort of dress where you can let your make-up do the talking. Have a little fun with an exaggerated cat eye. A simple flat shoe will do, or one that has a low heel. We literally have a ton of 60's summer dresses in the store right now, so come on in and find the one thats right for you! Or if you're like me, you'll find 20 that are right for you!

If you are into the styles of the 70s and 80s, we also have lots of options for you! We've got long prairie style dresses and polyester jumpsuits galore. For the 80s fan, we have off the shoulder dresses that will have John Cusack holding up a boombox outside of your window. 

I hope everyone is excited for the changes your wardrobe is about to go through! Come on in and find the perfect summer clothes! Need help? Let us know. We will gladly help you find whatever you are looking for.

Until next time...


   

No comments:

Post a Comment