Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fashion and stuff...

Everyone has changed their picture, so I'm going to do so also. There. Joined the bandwagon. Now we can move on.

Fashion Week always makes me feel inspired and yet a bit 'blah'. I don't know how to explain it other than I see all these pieces I want to wear, and then I step back and think: Is it weird to wear this? Is this outfit going to look stupid on me? Am I going to look like I'm trying too hard? Will these pants make my thighs look huge? (The answer is always yes to that one).


Over the past few weeks, I've come to a conclusion. Maybe some of you have already reached this, but to me its fresh and new and I'm going to let you in on it: You can do whatever you want. Yes, I do try out new styles and have fun with fashion, but there is always that part of me that holds back. When I put on Jeffrey Campbells with jeans, my first thought is, 'Man, thats just too much'. But is it? No. I'm just being a giant idiot. I'm pretty sure fashion is made up of a certain percentage of worrying about what people will think, once you can significantly lower that, its time to have fun.

Spending your time being worried about whether or not space-themed leggings paired with a pair of giant wedge boots and an over-sized sweater is appropriate for a Tuesday shouldn't be on the forefront on your mind. What it really boils down to is this: Do you love it? No matter what, there are always going to be people that aren't into some aspect of what you are doing. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked if my tattoos were real, jokingly responded with 'no', and then had a person tell me they were glad because they 'didn't look good on me'. Yes, this happens, and it just reiterates my point: If you truly love it, a naysayer here and there ain't no thang. 

All this being said, what is your fashion inspiration for the upcoming months? So far in New York's Fashion Week, there have been a lot of blousey and simply constructed looks.  I hate to say 'relaxed' exactly, because I know that achieving this look probably took more effort that I can possibly imagine. Either way, I am okay with this. Might I also mention a lot of the designers are pairing their creations with flats! No heels? WHAT? As a girl looking to get into wearing more heels, this news doesn't really do anything for me. I'm excited to try out new styles and wear insane boots and heels and love every single minute of it. See, if you truly love the direction you are going in the fashion world, it doesn't matter.

For me, the purpose of Fashion Week is to get some ideas for what I want to do with my own wardrobe. You don't have to view the lines as law. Though sometimes they are so perfect, you just might as well. For example, just because styles aren't super glam this season, that doesn't mean you can't be a glam explosion if you want. Glam has never really been my thing, but every so often, the need to get ultra dolled up occurs, and I run with it, glitter and all. Even though I'm not sold 100 percent on all of the looks on the runway this season, I do know that I will take the 'effortlessly minimal/clean' look to heart this year. Duly noted, New York. Thank you. I might even shower more than twice a week. We'll see. I don't want to do too much too soon. 

This fall/winter I want my look to be a mix between a European soccer coach and a magic/goth princess. Can't picture it? I can't either, but I'm going to have fun with it. Which is exactly what you should be doing with your style! Did you all find yourself attracted to any particular lines this Fashion Week? What is your fashion inspiration this fall? I'd love to hear all about it! Let me know! 

Good luck to all of you who are going to try out some new styles this season! And a tip of the hat to those who stay in their tried and true style. I'm a mixture of each, so I feel the both of you. 

Until next time...








No comments:

Post a Comment