Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Getting into the Halloween Spirit

One of my favorite things to do this time of year is watch as many scary movies as possible in honor of Halloween.  I always have a marathon as I'm putting up my Halloween decorations, and on Halloween night.  I am obsessed with classic horror (mostly anything before mid 80s) much more than recent stuff, although there are a few new horror films I have gotten into such as the "Paranormal Activity" series, and "Walking Dead" on TV.  There is just something a little more creepy and suspenseful about the older movies for me, they are less obvious and focused on shock and gore.  When it comes to horror, just completely skip the remakes and find the original (some have even been remade 2-3 times!).  The only time I have ever found this not to be true is in the case of one of my favorite movies, "The Hitcher," in which I ended up liking both versions equally (be sure to watch this if you haven't seen it).  Below I've listed a few of my favorites, some are classics, and some are hopefully ones you haven't seen before. 

This movie is set within a traveling circus in the 1930s (Kate's dreamworld, yes.)  The costumes and sets are amazing, but besides that it's one of the most subtlety creepy movies of all time.  The film is only 64 minutes long and centers around a story of forbidden love and vengeance within the circus performers.  Even if you're someone who HATES scary movies, give this one a try, because it is more suspenseful than scary.



 If you haven't by some odd chance seen this movie all the way through, it is a MUST!  It is one of my favorite movies of all time.  I first watched it when I was ten years old and it sparked my love for horror movies.  There have been a lot of horror films about creepy hotels, but this is the original and the best.  You never know until the very end who to trust, and who to believe. The famous shower scene plays off of a mutual fear that has haunted everyone at some time or another. I am a huge Hitchcock fan, and am so excited for the latest TV SERIES coming out on AMC based on this movie!  Check out the original trailer below and you will want to rewatch the film immediately. 

 



 

If you've heard the scary story of the young girl who keeps getting creepy phone calls, eventually calls the police and finds out that the phone calls are coming from INSIDE the house, that is what this film is loosely based on.  It is definitely more of a classic slasher film than the other movies I've listed, so BEWARE if you are easily scared.  The villain is just super weird and creepy, and the vast size and multiple floors of the sorority house it is set in just add to the suspense.  Definitely don't watch it if you will be doing anything like house sitting or babysitting alone anytime soon....





There has been such a zombie-craze lately with the popularity of AMC's "Walking Dead," but this film is one of the original zombie movies and one of my all-time favorites.  The director, George Romero, is one of horror's greatest, also directing "Land of the Dead", "Day of the Dead", "Dawn of the Dead," and "Creepshow."   The film was originally shot in black and white, on a budget of just over $100,000, but still stands today as one of horror's greatest films and a cult classic.
 

 

 Rope (1948)

The first time I saw this movie, I remember just being completely speechless at the end.  It is unlike any other Hitchcock movie or suspense movie you have seen.  The entire movie pretty much takes place in a single room of a New York apartment, and features an amazing cast headlined by the great Jimmy Stewart.  I think it's one of those movies that you either completely love or hate (I happen to love it).  If you love mysteries and Hitchcock, definitely check out one of his lesser-known, but most suspenseful thrillers.
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment