A vintage store based in Lexington, Kentucky that specializes in men's and women's fashion clothing and accessories, home goods and furniture from the 1940's-1990's.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

PICTURES...

As per the usual, I can not concentrate or focus or do ANYTHING when I know I have a vacation coming up. This time its double the trouble since I'm headed to Chicago next weekend, and then New York a couple weekends after that. Must be creative. Must think of something to write about. Ugh. Its no use. Whenever I'm lacking in creativity on here I turn to one thing: pictures! 




One of my favorite things to do is go to the library. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Design Library on campus, but since I'm no longer a student, I have Kyle (I hate saying boyfriend because it makes me feel like a middle schooler) check out books for me. It seriously feels like Christmas whenever we go get books together. My go-tos from the Design Library stay within typical Kate fashion: books on the design of Disneyland and Disney World, books on World's Fairs, but most importantly, books that are comprised of mostly pictures of decades past. 

There are few things that please me more than to open a book and spend hours looking at pictures of what cities looked like in the late 1800s. I pretty much go nutburgers over pictures of the past until they reach the 1950s. Once we get to the 1950s, things start looking too familiar, and I lose the romance that can all too easily be read in previous decade's photographs. Of course, thats just MY opinion. 

Lets just dive into some pictures that make me really very happy. 

Pike and Henry Street. New York City, March the 6th, 1936

Pike and Henry Street. New York City, March the 6th, 1936Pikeadjd

Pike and Henry Street, New York City, March 6th, 1936.
Photo via photographyinamerica.wordpress.com

Pike and Henry Street. New York City, March the 6th, 1936


 New York City, 1953
Photo via photographyinamerica.wordpress.com

 State Street, Chicago, 1930s
Photo via chuckmanchicagonostalgia.wordpress.com 

Museum of Science and Industry-World's Fair Art Building being converted to then Field Museum-1923

Broadway at 8th Street. Los Angeles, California. 1920.
Photo via photographium.com

Easter Sunday. 5th Avenue. New York City, New York, date unknown
Photo via photographium.com

Bird's-eye view of Victory Arch and Flatiron Building. New York City
Photo via photographium.com

  Rockefeller Center and RCA Building from 515 Madison Avenue. New York City
1933
Photo via photographium.com

Wrigley and Tribune Buildings. Michigan Avenue. Chicago, Illinois. 1920
Photo via photographium.com


Okay. So now I feel even more day-dreamy. How perfect are all of those pictures? I do love LA and New York, but Chicago will always be my number one love. That city has my heart! I truly had to fight not to put only pictures of Chicago up. Alright, its back to the real world. But before I go, I want to hear if anyone else obsesses over pictures like this? What sort of old photographs do you all like to look at? Let me know! I could talk about this stuff all day!


Until next time... 
 
  
 
  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment