Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Vintage things that I can't get down with...

There aren't many things I dislike. Okay, that may not be true. I've often been called a pessimist, and its true that I've been known to be a grumpus. But if we are all being honest with each other, I really do like most things, I just think its fun to be grumpy. Is that weird? Probably. But that doesn't matter, lets move on.

In seriousness, though, there are things that I just can't get down with, and thats what this blog is going to be about.


I read through some of my previous blog posts, and I realized something: I get obsessive and love a lot of things. It seemed like every other sentence was something along the lines of, 'I'm dying. This is perfection.' I go on and on about what I currently am drooling over. Thats all well and good, but I think its high time that I write a little bit about the things I'm not constantly obsessing over, starting with shoes from the 1960s. 

I know that might seem stupid, to harbor a dislike for shoes from a certain time period, but its happening. Now, I'm not sure why I dislike shoes from this decade so much, but a part of me thinks its because they don't suit me. So, its a selfish reason. But theres more! There was so much patent in so many colors that it just makes my head spin. Add on top of that a short chunky heel and a square toe. This is a recipe for my personal shoe hell. I'm not sure of my stance on gogo boots, but since I don't love them, I'm going to group them with the rest of the shoes from the 60s. Blarg. Enjoy some images of shoes that I don't enjoy. 


Ah. Now that THAT is over with, lets move on. I don't know why I hate these next items so much, but I just do. One would think that I would love these, what with their amazing patterns and pretty neat look in general, but, I don't. I'm talking about vintage warming trays. I guess my main beef with these suckers is that I would never ever ever use one. I realize they are practical, and I also realize that I'm not usually one to pass on an item just because I'd never use it. I dunno, I just hate these. I can't explain it. They are sort of like green olives. I have no real reason to hate them, but I just do. Lets take a look at some warming trays.




I may get some flak for this, but I hate owls. A lot. I hate owl figurines, I hate owl t shirts, I hate owl purses, you name it. Now, I love people that love owls. I think its great if you are super into something. But, truthfully, owls just wear me out. Lets take a look at some owls, shall we? 



Okay, so there are a few things that I just can't get down with. Do you all have any vintage things that you just can't stand? I want to know! Even if you dislike something I think is great, I still wanna hear about it! 

Until next time...
 

4 comments:

  1. OK so I am all for honesty in the blogosphere but I have to push back a little here...I'll give you the owl thing...it is much like my issue with airbrushing and overused fonts. People like what they like and hate what they hate...it's their right. BUT shoes from the 1960's are art. I'm not saying that my wide foot and bad back can wear anything but Dansko's for a long haul but seriously these shoes are little works of art. Like hang them on your wall ART!
    The warming trays...meh I could leave em too.
    Now for what I hate...high wasted jeans, wedge shoes, and ummm...overused ellipses :}
    happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like 1960s shoes, the problem is they are always too narrow for my feet. I do agree with you on the overused owl motif though. I used to really hate polyester dresses (difficult to pull off most of the year in New Orleans), but I bought one recently that fits to a 't'. As a 5'1 lady, the worst vintage items for me have to be high waisted, wide-leg pants. I've never tried on a pair that didn't make me look like Gumby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of brass. Paperweights, serving trays, drawer handles, pelican statues, book ends--stick a coat of neon pink or white spray paint on them though and voila! Problem solved. Also, I could do away with the color beige. Because honestly, is drab even a color?

    (also, I wore my white necklace on NYE and everyone loved it. Good to see you. I don't mind reliable grumps)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH! I'm pretty short myself, but for some reason, I live for high waisted jeans! I love them to bits!

    Also, glad everyone loved that necklace! And glad I got to see you, too.

    ReplyDelete