Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Inspiration...

We all miss Cara more than we can even begin to describe, so we will just leave that entire subject be.To avoid thinking about how much I'm going to miss my boo, I'm going to talk about something else I love dearly: redecorating. 

Recently, my style has changed. I completely stopped liking my turquoise/pink/black kitchen theme, I started to get annoyed with all of my one million trinkets I had strewn across my apartment, and I even began to grow weary of my giant pill box/portable ashtray collection. WHAT?!?! How did this happen? I've spent years and years collecting these things, and now all of a sudden they've lost their luster? How?! And then I realized, its not like I was sick of all of these things, I was sick of how I was displaying them. I lived at home for most of my college years, and so I only had one room to change up. The past few years, I realized how much I have to change up my apartment every so often. I honestly had no idea how much I loved redecorating and reorganizing each and every space. I seem to constantly be taking down something only to add another piece, adding little touches here and there to make the space feel new and exciting again. I suppose its an addiction, which is weird because I totally don't have an addictive personality. (I brought my jokes to work today).

Okay, this may be weird, but I have one single inspiration for what I want my apartment to look like: Sanatoriums. So, if we want to get down to the nitty gritty, some people make a distinction between  "sanitarium" (a kind of health resort) and "sanatorium" (a hospital), but mostly they are used interchangeably. Sanatoriums were medical facilities that housed patients with long term illnesses, tuberculosis comes to most peoples minds. Most people picture patients resting on a tiled outdoor room on cots with white crisp bed linens. This imagery has always sort of cast a spell over me. Sterile tiled floors, long hallways, plants, and giant windows that let every ounce of sunlight and air in. I just gave myself a chill, its all so beautiful. Check out some pictures that really inspire me in my decorating. I love the idea that this place was meant to make you feel better and heal you. The picture of the people doing breathing exercises is just perfect. Its all too romantic to me to have a place where you go to heal yourself and take everything in all in efforts to feel good. This is exactly how I want my house to feel.

 Photo via thespace.lrb.co.uk



 Photo via myoldkentuckyroadtrip.com

Photo via 28dayslater.co.uk

 
Photo via 28dayslater.co.uk

Photo via 28dayslater.co.uk

 Photo via urbanghostsmedia.com

 Photo via greatvisualtruths.blogspot.com

Since my house was built in 1844, its bones are perfect for achieving my dream of living in my very own Sanatorium. Here is a picture of my house:


Obviously, I didn't take this picture. I wish I was alive when this picture was taken, because it would be the best day of my life to see how the house used to be decorated. Sigh.  I've got the upstairs of the house, so the windows really allow for all the sunlight in the world to come in, and the best breezes this side of the Mississippi to pour in. Ah. The past few weeks, I've been working on my bathroom. The bathroom is one of the few rooms that doesn't have giant windows, so I decided one way to make it seem a bit more 'health-retreat' like was to overload the plants. If you know me, you know that I am a plant junkie, and every room has at least five (read 20) plants in it. Heres the bathroom so far:


There are a million things in here not pictured, but my favorite  is a 1930s medical cabinet on casters which is just to die for. I have an old decanter filled with mouthwash on a very old and damaged circular mirror which sort of adds to the look. I really enjoyed filling glass and metal canisters (pictured on mantle) with everyday bathroom items such as cotton balls, q-tips, and fresh white wash cloths. We have so many great items in the store right now to recreate this same look. We have an old metal typewriter cart that would be perfect for a bathroom or entryway piece! Also, we got in a TON of silver trays which would look perfect in your bathroom with a decanter of mouthwash and some little jade plants sitting on top of it! There are so many glass containers with silver lids that make PERFECT canisters for bathroom accessories. What I love about using these sorts of accessories in the bathroom is that it give you that sort of sterile feeling while having an edge of fun and playfulness. AND WHO DOESN'T LOVE FUN...

I hope you all enjoyed this post. Even if you got bored of reading what I wrote (you did, its okay), I hope that the pictures made up for it. For real. I'm so glad I got to share my love of sanatoriums/sanitariums with you all. I truly think they are such beautiful spaces, and getting to model my own house after one has to be one of the biggest joys of my life right now. That and my man. I got a good one, folks. 

Remember that while you all are used to asking us to help you put together an outfit, we are just as capable and excited to help you put together a room! Let us help you build up your house/apartment just how you want! Looking for a particular piece? We'll put you in our wishbook and keep an eye out for it. 

Until next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment