Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Kate's distracted...

I'm going to be spending the next three weeks or so in LA, so in typical fashion, this blog post will feature mostly pictures.

Knowing that I will be at Disneyland very, VERY soon, is seriously keeping me in a constant state of goosebump excitedness!  As much as I want to talk about Disney, I'm pretty sure I've done about one million posts about it already, so I won't. Depressing.


I was pleasantly surprised the first time I went to LA. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but what I experienced was a very low-key relaxed atmosphere that was just perfect. I walked around a lot, went to museums, and best of all, explored neighborhoods where every single house was the epitome of Mid Century Modern. I stumbled upon a late night art gallery showing in someone's house. I popped my head in, not knowing what exactly was going on, and inside where maybe 10 people who were very obviously artists and who were also very aware that I wasn't one. IT was like being at a party I wasn't invited to. Which, in retrospect, this could have been the case. Maybe it wasn't an art show after all, Either way. I love LA. 

What I didn't do last time, though, was check out all of the art deco architecture. I was so amazed by the mid century modern touches everywhere, and I was only there for three days or so, so I didn't have much time to do anything! But you can bet your bottom that I'm going to be spending a lot of time finding the best art deco buildings out there. Lets take a look at some famous art deco architecture in Los Angeles. 

 The Bullocks Wilshire. This building was completed in 1929 as a luxury department
store. Color me jealous. I wish all department stores looked this perfect. 


 Heres an interior shot. Obviously decorated from a different era, but dang. You can still really see how
beautiful the original structure of the building are. Those windows? Yes. Those happened. 



 Eastern Columbia building. Be. Still. My. Heart. I can't handle this. This building was originally opened as
offices for furniture and clothing companies, but it later turned into condos. Which I will be buying soon.




 Entrance shot of the Eastern Columbia Building. So beautiful. 



 El Rey theatre. Built in 1936, this place is just perfect. The interior is all I want in any sort of music 
venue.  


Naturally, the Griffith Observatory. While I have been here, its still just so dang amazing. I mean, look at it.



Under construction here, but look at the grounds. I can't even.


Sunset Tower. Opened in 1931, and beautiful as hell. Can't wait to see this beauty. 


Okay. So thats just a handful of buildings that I want to see while I'm there. I can't wait! Have you guys been out to LA? What are some of your favorite buildings? Any suggestions for what I should go see? 

Until next time...






No comments:

Post a Comment