Friday, August 30, 2013

Summer to Fall Must Have Pieces Part 2: Look for Less





   Thanks to Emma's post on Monday, I was inspired to create some outfits available here at Street Scene using Em's four must-have transitional pieces: the neutral bootie, the fitted blazer, the army jacket and the chambray shirt. I chose one picture from each series to serve as inspiration and made some ensembles that look modern but use vintage pieces (a favorite pastime of mine)!

1. The Neutral Bootie


The photo above is a super cute and girlie way to rock some black leather buckle booties. In that same vein, I wanted to pair our anke booties with a mini dress. Ours is more mod-inspired, but this dress was too good to pass up! Since it has a slight turtleneck, I'd skip all jewelry but some big hoops and throw on some big black sunglasses and a high ponytail!


dress: $25, booties: $18, sunglasses: $10, hoops: $.50

2. The Fitted Blazer

 

Anyone who knows me knows that my style is definitely menswear-inspired, which is why I love blazers so much. Not only do they give a nod to the boys, but they instantly make any outfit more chic. So, I found this fabulous navy velvet blazer and knew exactly how I wanted to style it. With a tuxedo-style shirt, I threw on a black clip-on bowtie, all of which is very menswear. To temper the masculinity, I added a fabulous black pocketed miniskirt, navy bow flats and an Hermes-inspired black leather handbag for a sleek boy-meets-girl outfit.


blazer: $18, shirt: $10, skirt: $16, handbag: $28, flats: $30 via etsy, bowtie: $12

3. Army Jacket


The army jacket, in both olive green and camo is a piece that's been touted for a while for its versatility - and rightfully so! Where the blazer can add fanciness, an army jacket can make any outfit look casual and cool. We don't currently have one in the store, but if you like the above photo, I found a denim dress that would look adorable with some tan leather boots, a woven purse (with horsehead clasp!), some wayfarer-style glasses, and some wavy locks, and you've got a downtown casual look that will easily carry you through fall.


dress: $18, boots: $28, purse: $30, glasses: $10

4. The Chambray Shirt


I love the denim on denim trend that's been popular the last few seasons, and when Emma posted the above photo, I knew exactly what I wanted to do to show off our chambray shirt. The above photo is magazine editor sleek while ours is more academic chic (in a good way!) Anymore, you can wear matching denims, but I chose to use a darker jean to offset the chambray top. This camel corduroy blazer is the epitome of fall gear and looks good thrown on over any old thing. I added these adorable Etienne Aigner loafers because every woman needs a good pair (I have four different pairs that I wear constantly, even with a sweatshirt and jeans!). Finally, the gold statement bib necklace is an unexpected touch and helps offset the menswear vibe of the outfit. 


blazer: $16, shirt: $15, Wrangler jeans: $15, Aigner loafers: $15, necklace: $12


Of course these outfits are just one interpretation of these transitional pieces, but there are so many others just dying to be tried out (it was hard for me to narrow it down to just these four ensembles)! They look great separate or worn all together - layers are the essence of fall dressing! 

If there are ever any photos you come across that you'd like for us to remix or remake with vintage clothing - let us know! Shoot us an email at streetscenevintage2575@aol.com and we can help as much as we can to make fashion as accessible as possible - it shouldn't just be saved for the glossy pages of magazines!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment