Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Old & New



As anyone that's made my acquaintance can tell you, I love vintage. I feel like that goes without saying due to its uniqueness, its environmental-friendly appeal and generally, its affordability. But my favorite part about vintage is how much it informs the trends and merchandise of today. The last issue of Harper's Bazaar had a whole section entitled, "Is Anything New?" and to that the resounding answer was, "no!"  Of course there are always exceptions, but by and large, the days of yore are where you should look for the styles of the future.

With that being said, I wanted to prove my point instead of just waxing poetic about it as I usually do. We merchandisers at Street Scene are incredibly inspired by Anthropologie. It's of the highest accolades when people walk in our store and tell us as much. Anthropologie is lauded for its creative displays and well-chosen and kitschily-designed items for a reason. But, did you realize that the reason Street Scene can look similar to Anthropologie is because we have very similar merchandise - but we've got the originals! Below I've found a dozen examples of our vintage merchandise and Anthropologie's equivalent. 

I don't want you to think I am in any way comparing our two stores to somehow diss Anthropologie. More so, I just think it's neat to have solid proof of vintage item's influence on today's market. So here we go!

1. Creature Measuring Cups

Street Scene

Anthropologie

2. Creature Creamers

Street Scene

Anthropologie

3. Owl Cookie Jar

Street Scene

Anthropologie

4. Colorful Tureens

Street Scene


Anthroplogie

6. Colorful Hobnail Tumblers

Street Scene

Anthropologie

7. Gold and glass Jewelry Case

Street Scene

Anthropologie

8. Decorative Salad Set

Street Scene

Anthropologie

9. Opalescent Glassware

Street Scene


Anthropologie

10. Metallic Crackle Vase/Planter

Street Scene


Anthropologie

11. Colorful Hobnail Vase

Street Scene

Anthropologie

12. Delicate Glass Cake Stands

Street Scene


Anthropologie

So there you have it! Vintage really is a special thing and though all the pieces above are incredible, regardless of their age, the oldies will always hold a special place in my heart!

- Mag






No comments:

Post a Comment